Starnet names Design Award winners
Columbus, Ohio—Starnet Commercial Flooring, a network of full-service commercial flooring contractors, has announced the winners of the 2021 Starnet Design Awards. Now in its twenty-third year, Starnet said the annual competition honors the outstanding projects completed through membership in collaboration with the architects, designers and Starnet-matched manufacturing partners.
According to Starnet, the Gold category winners were selected by a jury in six categories, including business, education, healthcare, hospitality and public spaces, mixed-use developments and a new Canadian Project of the Year. Each gold category winner competed for the overall 2021 Starnet Grand Prize award. In addition, Starnet announced the coveted People’s Choice Winners nominated by Starnet members, preferred suppliers and the industry press.
“We were grateful for the high level of engagement at the Starnet Design Awards for the entire network of partners,” said Mark Bischoff, president and CEO of Starnet Worldwide Commercial Flooring Partnership. “Many of these incredible installations were completed during the height of the pandemic. They demonstrate the ability of Starnet members to adapt quickly and remain focused on delivering exceptional indoor commercial spaces to end users in times of uncertainty.”
Grand Prize Winner | Gold in healthcare
The most prestigious award, the 2021 Grand Prize, was awarded to Starnet member LVR Commercial Flooring for his work on Dimensions II at UMC Health System in Lubbock, Texas.
In addition to winning the 2021 top prize, LVR Commercial Flooring took home the healthcare gold for its work on the Dimensions II of the UMC Health System. Located at the University Medical Center in Lubbock, Texas, UMC Dimensions II is the premier breast imaging center in West Texas. The imaging center’s director recently ordered a full renovation, and designers have applied the iconic pink ribbon throughout the space to honor breast cancer awareness, creating a calming, comforting atmosphere, the company said.
Design Awards judge, Alison Woolf, associate principal, design director, Huntsman Architectural Group, said she was immediately impressed with the project. “This is an incredibly successful renovation that is warm, bright and uplifting. The theme is perfect and the iconic ribbon design is inspiring to patients.”
Fellow jury member Andrea Hanson, director, architect, certified interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini, agreed with her feelings. “The material choices were excellent, seamlessly combining the highly cleanable, resilient floors required for healthcare environments with carpeting and soft surfaces that control the acoustics and contribute to a quiet, healing environment.”
- Starnet Member: LVR Commercial Flooring
- Architect: Condray Design Group, Inc.
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Altro, American Olean, Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Inc., Daltile, Henry Adhesives, Mannington Commercial, Mapei, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Tarkett Johnsonite, Uzin Utz North America, Inc., XL North Chemical Co.
Gold in mixed-use developments | Gold in unique installation
Starnet member Diverzify took home two awards for his work at the Old Chicago Post Office in Chicago, Illinois, Gold for Unique Installation and Gold for Mixed-Use Developments.
- Starnet Member: Diverzify
- Architect: Gensler
- Starnet preferred suppliers: Mapei, Schönox
Gold in education | Bronze in unique installation
Awarded the Gold in Education to Starnet member WC Carpenter for the company’s work at Virginia Wesleyan University Dining Hall in Norfolk, Virginia. The project also won bronze at the Starnet Design Awards Unique Installation Challenge 2021.
Gold in Corporate
Gold in Corporate was awarded to Consolidated Flooring of Chicago for his work on Komatsu’s headquarters in Rolling Meadows, Illinois.
- Starnet Member: Consolidated Carpet
- Architect: Partners by Design
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Armstrong Flooring, Inc., J+J Flooring, Mapei, Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in hospitality/public space
Starnet member DCO Commercial Floors took the Gold in Hospitality/Public Space for his work on Silverspot Cinema at The Battery in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Starnet Member: DCO Commercial Floors
- Architect: Collins | Webb architecture
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Armstrong Flooring, Inc., Daltile, Flexco, Mannington Commercial, Mapei, MATS, Inc., Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Johnsonite
Canadian project of the year
The inaugural “Canadian Project of the Year” award was awarded to Beatty Floors, Ltd. for her work at the G&F Financial Head Offices in Burnaby, British Columbia.
- Starnet Member: Beatty Floors, Ltd.
- Architect: ZGF Architects, Inc.
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Ardex, Bostik, Inc., Milliken, Starnet High Performance Carpet Tile by Milliken Commercial, Tarkett Johnsonite
Gold in People’s Choice (tie)
Starnet member St. Paul Linoleum & Carpet was awarded People’s Choice Gold for his work on Saint Paul’s Cathedral in Saint Paul, Minn.
- Starnet Member: St. Paul Linoleum & Carpet
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Ardex, Tarkett Johnsonite
Starnet member Great Floors, an ADG Company was awarded People’s Choice Gold for his work at Grandview High School in Grandview, Wash.
- Starnet Member: Great Floors, an ADG Company
- Architect: Architects West
- Starnet’s Preferred Suppliers: Altro, Daltile, Ecore Commercial, Mannington Commercial, Tarkett, Tarkett Johnsonite, Tarkett Tandus Centiva, Uzin Utz North America, Inc.
The jury panel
The jury of architects and designers who lent their talent and expertise to the jury this year:
- Andrea Hanson, client, architect, certified interior designer, Dekker/Perich/Sabatini
- Alison Woolf, associate principal, design director, Huntsman Architectural Group
- Cecelia Baumann, senior interior design student, Savannah College of Art and Design
In addition, John T. McGrath, Jr. jury of honor for the Unique Installation Challenge Award. He is the executive director of Install.