Plumbing Work Ignites Wall In Lee’s Summit – Lee’s Summit Tribune

June 10, 2021

By Assistant Chef Jim Eden

LEE’S SUMMIT, MO — On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 11:12 AM, the Lee’s Summit Fire Department responded to a reported fire in the 4300 block of SW Ward Road. The caller reported that they were connecting a pipe in a wall and had set the insulation on fire.

When firefighters arrived, smoke was visible on the outside of a two-storey single-family home. The resident was safely outside.

The crew entered the building and found moderate smoke in the finished basement and first floor. Using a thermal imaging camera, the crews quickly located the fire in the wall and part of the basement ceiling. The hidden spaces were opened and the fire was extinguished. The incident was brought under control at 11:29 a.m.

The fire damage was limited to the hidden areas of the wall and ceiling in the basement. The rest of the basement and first floor sustained significant smoke damage. The cause of the fire was determined that the resident used a torch to plug pipe into the wall and embers that ignited combustible building materials.

Comments are closed.