Plumbers & Steamfitters Recruit Apprentices
Syracuse, NY (August 12, 2021) – The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Plumbers & Steamfitters, Local Union #267, will be recruiting five (5) to 10 Plumbers and Steamfitters apprentices and five from August 16, 2021 to August 15, 2022 (5) to 10 heating, ventilation and air conditioning apprentices, the New York State Department of Labor announced today.
Please note that the five (5) to 10 Plumbing and Steam Fitter Jobs and Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Mechanic Apprenticeships represent the total number for two recruiting regions – the Central, North Country, and Southern Tier regions.
Applications can only be obtained and submitted in person to Local Union #267 at one of the following locations from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding statutory holidays, during the recruitment period.
- Syracuse: 107 Twin Oaks Drive, Syracuse, NY 13206
- Oswego: 705 East Seneca Street, Oswego, NY 13126
- Ithaca: 701 West State Street, Ithaca, NY 14850
The committee requires applicants to:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Evidence is required after selection and prior to enrollment in the apprenticeship.
- Must certify in writing that they are physically capable of performing the work of the trade, including:
- Working with sharp objects, dangerous machinery and possible exposure to loud noises and respiratory irritants.
- Prolonged standing and walking.
- Squatting and/or bending repeatedly.
- Working in harsh weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Working in confined spaces.
- Working in wet and muddy conditions.
- Lifting and/or moving heavy objects and equipment.
- Working from ladders and scaffolding at different heights.
- Must reside within the jurisdiction of Local Union #267, which includes Cayuga, Chemung, Cortland, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Onondaga, Oswego, Schuyler, St. Lawrence, and Tompkins counties.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. A student may be asked to drive company vehicles. Evidence is required after selection and prior to enrollment in the apprenticeship.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from various job sites and classes at the approved school.
- Must pass drug screening, at sponsor’s expense, at time of appointment.
- Must provide military transfer card or discharge form DD-214, if applicable, upon selection and prior to enrollment in apprenticeship.
- Must pass the Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test.
For more information, applicants may contact Local Union #267 at (315) 463-6344. Additional job search help can be obtained from your local New York State Department of Labor Career Center (see: dol.ny.gov/career-centers).
Apprentice programs registered with the Department of Labor must meet the standards set by the Commissioner. Under state law, program sponsors cannot discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, disability, or marital status. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply for internship programs. Program sponsors should adopt positive action plans for the recruitment of women and minorities.