10 Key Questions to Ask Before Buying Replacement Doors
When it’s time for a new door, one standard option is to go to the home improvement store and pick out the first one that looks nice. However, that isn’t always the best way to replace this vital part of your home.
When it comes time to replace your home’s doors, there are a few key questions you should ask yourself before making a purchase. For example, how much do you want to spend? What style and material do you prefer? And what kind of weather protection do you need? In this article, we’ll explore each of these questions more in-depth to make an informed decision about your replacement doors. So keep reading for tips on how to find the perfect door for your home!
Here are essential questions to ask before buying replacement doors.
- 1 Here are essential questions to ask before buying replacement doors.
- 1.1 1. What factors should you consider when choosing new doors for your home?
- 1.2 2. What materials are available for doors, and what are their benefits/drawbacks?
- 1.3 3. What are the different types of doors available on the market today?
- 1.4 4. How much do new doors cost, and what kind of installation is required?
- 1.5 5. Are there any tax credits or rebates available for purchasing new doors?
- 1.6 6. How do you know if a door is made from high-quality materials?
- 1.7 7. When should I hire a professional rather than trying to install new doors myself?
- 1.8 8. How do you know if a door is installed correctly and functioning correctly?
- 1.9 9. Are there any special features or accessories you can add to your doors for extra protection/functionality/style points?
- 1.10 10. What are some tips for maintaining your new doors so they last longer?
1. What factors should you consider when choosing new doors for your home?
- Know your climate and find a door that will meet the needs of your area
- Understand your aesthetics and try to find something that either matches or compliments the exterior of your home.
- Security – what security features are you looking for? Do you need additional protection beyond a lock and deadbolt? Do you prefer to have a window or no window?
- Know the total cost of a new door and stay within your budget.
2. What materials are available for doors, and what are their benefits/drawbacks?
At Newman Windows and Doors, we only sell doors that do well in our southern California climate, and we only source from the best manufacturers. We set our standards high so you can buy with confidence.
Vinyl is durable and inexpensive and is remarkably energy efficient.
Wood adds a warm feel to the interior of your home while offering the durability and beauty of fiberglass on the exterior.
Aluminum is rust-proof, rot-proof, durable, affordable, and easy to clean.
Choosing the material for your exterior door is typically more of an aesthetic choice over a material choice simply because we only stock and sell doors that are well made for our area.
3. What are the different types of doors available on the market today?
There are many types of doors on the market today. If you’re looking at door replacement, here are many door styles to consider:
Sliding Patio Doors – Sliding patio doors have a modern and sleek look that makes a perfect replacement door. One door panel is fixed, and the other slides open, stacking over the fixed portion of the door. They open flush with the wall, so they are excellent for apartments or small living spaces.
Sliding patio doors are an affordable way to add natural light to your home and ventilation while keeping your family’s safety in mind. They open with ease and are highly energy efficient.
Entry Doors – The perfect entry door is beautiful and functional, updating the look of your home and increasing its safety. Entry doors are beautifully designed with performance and safety top of mind. Often, the simple act of replacing your entry by improves your home’s value and increases its curb appeal, and it is a great way to add a personal touch to the exterior of your home.
If you are looking to replace your entry door, add side windows, or even redesign your entire entry area using a combination of windows and doors, we can help!
French Door – French doors have been popular for decades and show no signs of slowing down. Often comprised of two doors, they can swing open inward or to the exterior, latching together in the middle when closed. French doors allow for ample natural light, even when closed. They add an elegant touch to any room.
Interior French Doors offer the look of an open floor plan and airy interior while still giving the flexibility to separate spaces. Exterior French Doors are designed to open up to outdoor living spaces, giving a feeling of elegance.
Bi-Fold Door – Bifold doors are the perfect option for expanding or dividing living spaces, large or small. Each door is called a panel. Each panel is hinged and sits flush with the other panels. There are endless configurations of panels that can be attached for large or small opening.
Bifold doors are highly versatile, allowing one to open one single door or a whole wall. Open up a large section between your home and patio to expand your indoor/outdoor living space. Bifold doors are beautiful, flexible, efficient, and safe.
Stacking Door – Stacking doors can beautifully open up entire rooms to the outdoors. When closed, they can fill either a small section of the wall or cover the whole wall. To blend the outdoor and indoor living spaces, simply slide the stacking doors together one by one. They are designed to stack together seamlessly and effortlessly.
Stacking doors add an elegant and modern touch to any room, but you do not have to sacrifice function or security for beauty. When closed, these doors are energy efficient and have a locking system designed for homeowner safety and security.
Moving Glass Wall – Moving glass walls designed with pocket doors are a stunning way to bring the outdoors in, whether open or closed.
Pocket doors slide into a pocket within the wall and completely disappear, leaving the idea that the indoor and outdoor living spaces are one. These doors are extremely versatile and offer endless configurations depending on your design needs, budget, and overall vision.
Moving glass walls add a feeling of luxurious elegance to any home.
4. How much do new doors cost, and what kind of installation is required?
New doors have a variety of prices depending on the amenities you are looking for. They can be very affordable or costly, depending on your taste and your desired features.
At Newman Windows and Doors, we install all of our windows and doors, and that cost is included in the price. We will give you an upfront quote, so there are no surprises. Our installers are professionally trained to be timely, professional, and clean.
RELATED: Millwork Installation – What To Expect The Day We Install Your New Windows and Doors
5. Are there any tax credits or rebates available for purchasing new doors?
If you purchase and install energy-star-rated doors, there is a possibility that you can get a tax credit for doing so. Please consult with your tax professional for additional information.
6. How do you know if a door is made from high-quality materials?
That’s a great question. The answer is: Unless you know and trust your dealer, you won’t know if a door is of high quality until it leaks or has issues. The way around that is to purchase from a dealer with a quality reputation, which guarantees both the installation AND the door itself.
7. When should I hire a professional rather than trying to install new doors myself?
At Newman Windows and Doors, we recommend you always have a professional install your millwork. First, our lifetime warranty is only good if we do the installation. Second, our installers know what they’re doing. With their trained eye, they can spot issues before they become catastrophic. Third, you can rest assured that the door will fit and function properly, or we will keep at it until it does.
8. How do you know if a door is installed correctly and functioning correctly?
If all of the functions (hinges, locks, knobs, windows, etc.) work without flaw, your door is installed correctly and functioning well. If you have any issues, be sure to have those handled quickly to avoid premature wear and tear.
9. Are there any special features or accessories you can add to your doors for extra protection/functionality/style points?
First, when installing your new door, make sure that the frame itself is structurally sound with no cracks, rot, or mold. That’s your first and best safety tip. Your door and security locks, etc., are only as good as the framing they are attached to.
Second, you can always upgrade your locks to a higher quality, install a chain, steel reinforcements around the screws, hinges, and locks, and a strike plate on your door jamb. Also, adding a peephole so you can see who is at your door is a great way to privately control who enters the home. Some doors also have a “speakeasy” which is that little shutter that opens. Could be a good feature to add in here.
10. What are some tips for maintaining your new doors so they last longer?
- Keep it clean – this first step of maintenance is simple but powerful to keep your new door looking nice.
- Maintain your hinges – If the screws are coming loose, gently tighten them. If the hinges squeak, give them a shot of oil.
- Inspect your locks – If your deadbolt hesitates, it may need a shot of oil as well.
- Maintain your weatherstripping and door sweep – replace them if they are showing signs of wear, or you can feel air in the gaps.
A few things to note when replacing your front door.
When it comes time to replace your front door, you want not only peace of mind but also energy efficiency and safety. Do you want it to swing inward or outward? Do you want to look at fiberglass doors or some other materials? Either way, you want it to be a low maintenance project.
Your new front door project should be installed by a professional contractor who can explore available options. The entire process should be easy to manage from beginning to end. We hope you’ll take these questions to ask before buying replacement doors.
TIP: While you’re looking at replacing your doors, you may also consider replacement windows. Buying new windows simultaneously may save you money in the end. here are 15 Questions to Ask Before Buying Replacement Windows.
If you’re looking for new doors to replace your old ones, we can help. As a family-owned and operated business, our primary goal is customer satisfaction—which means that you get the best products at an affordable price with outstanding service on top of it all. We offer free consultations to assess what kind of door would be ideal for your home and budget before we start work on the installation. So give us a call today and let us know how many doors need to be replaced to get started. Our phone number is 888-744-7893.